of our 12th Imam ajtfs
The Imam's ghaibat (occultation)
is generally in two phases - Ghaibat-e-Sughra
(minor occultation) for about 69 years - 260 A.H. (872
A.D.) to 329 A.H. (939 A.D.) and Ghaibat-e-Kubra (greater
in 329 A.H. (939 A.D.) and will continue according to Allah (swt)'s
(260 A.H. to 329 A.H.)
During Ghaibat-us-Sughra, Imam
(a.s.) appointed four deputies/representatives, one after the
other, to represent him among the people. After the death of
the fourth deputy, Imam (a.s.)'s period ofGhaibat-e-Kubra (major
occultation) began (according to historians on the 10th of
Shawwal), 329 A.H.
The 4 representatives were:
1. H. Uthman bin Saeed (A.R.)
It is said that at the age of 11 years he was a servant
in the house of the 9th Imam a.s. later to enjoy the confidence
of Imam a.s.. He occupied the same position of trust with the
10th and 11th Imam a.s. who told their Shias that after him they
would not see the 12th Imam a.s. in person and they should obey
H. Uthman. After 11th Imam's martyrdom, H.Uthman moved to
Baghdad and disguised as a butter seller. He served the 12th
Imam a.s. for 18 months and received a letter near his death
from Imam a.s. telling him to appoint his son Mohammed as the
2. H. Muhammad bin Uthman (A.R.)
He continued in his father's footsteps, also acting as
a butter seller. As instructed by Imam a.s., he appointed H.
Husayn bin Rawh as the next representative after his death in
3. H. Husayn bin Rawh (A.R.)
His kuniyya was Abul Qasim. He managed to keep his
activities a secret from the rulers of the time, whilst
maintaining good relations with them. It is to him that we
address the 'ariza' to be delivered to Imam a.s. (generally on
the 15th of Sha'baan). He served faithfully until he died in
Sha'baan 326 a.h. revealing the appointment of H. Ali bin
Muhammad Samry after him.
4. H. Ali bin Muhammad Samry (A.R.)
He served for only three years. A week before his death
he received a letter from Imam a.s. telling him of his
forthcoming death and that there would be no representative
after him and that Imam a.s. was now going into Ghaibat-e-Kubra (major
occultation). Imam a.s. would then appear when Allah swt wills
it. H. Ali bin Muhammad Samry died in 329 A.H.
GHAIBAT E KUBRA (
From 329 A.H. to present)
Imam's ghaiba is described by the Aimma like that of Prophet
Yusuf (A.S.) who was amongst his brothers yet they did not recognise
Imam is known to meet a believer on 3 occasions:
1. At the time of trouble
2. He is present at every Hajj
3. He attends the funeral of every believer who has no religious
obligations pending on him/her e.g.
During this time he continues to guide. Numerous letters have been
received from him by our Ulema, e.g.
Ishaq bin Yaqub, Sheikh Mufeed.
Our responsibilities During Ghaibat-e-Kubra
1. Pray for the safety of Imam (a.s.) at all time
2. Be in waiting for Imam (a.s.) at all times
3. Give Sadaqa for Imam (a.s.)
4. Pray for his re-appearance
5. Whenever faced with difficulty (whether small or big) ask for
assistance from Imam (a.s.).
6. Whenever his name is heard or recited, one
should stand if possible, send salaams on him, and bow.
7. If possible perform Hajj/Umra for Imam (a.s.).
(Hajj-After own Wajibat).
8. Most importantly, make sure that every action
of our life is in accordance with his pleasure, because it is Allah
RE-APPEARANCE OF IMAM AL
"The actual time of re-appearance is only known by Allah".
However our Aimma have given various indications,
which could change according to Will of Allah swt:
- It will be the day of Friday.
- It will be the 10th of Muharram.
- The century will be an odd number.
- There will be both a solar and lunar eclipse in the month of Ramadhan
but contrary to all norms and calculations.
- A voice will be heard announcing the appearance of Imam, which will be
heard by all in their own language.
- Turkey will be ruled by Usmanis.
- People will usurp that which they are trusted with.
- People will 'kill' Salaa. (It will not be abandoned but its essence
- The 5th, 6th and 7th Imams have said:
"A great man from the people of Qum will rise up and take a stand. He
will invite people towards the truth. Brave people like strong
mountains, not fearing fighting and having trust in Allah will come to
his help.......... Finally the enemy of Islam will
withdraw.............. The rule of Islamic Law will be established by
the people themselves".
"Kufa will become barren of Islamic knowledge........... whilst Qum will
become the centre of Islamic Fiqh............ so much so that it will
spread throughout the world that not a single person will remain
ignorant of the message of Islam".
"These people will be the vicegerents of the 12th Imam. Their rule will
continue and link with the appearance of the 12th Imam. They will not
entrust the rule established by them to any but Imam on his
- Imam Ali (a.s.) took Kumayl bin Ziyad to the outskirts of Kufa and
showed him where he was to be buried. He then told him that all round
his grave there would be tall buildings carrying the sign of Shaitan on
them. The sign would be called Antennae.
- Sufyani will appear
- Imam will appear in Makka and his 'zahoor' will be in two stages
(similar to Prophethood of the Prophet pbuh).
* 1st Stage
This will be in secret and not announced to all (only to close
* 2nd Stage
Open announcement on the 10th of Muharram (Ashura).
- In the Zil-Hajjah of the preceding to Imam's appearance on Ashura, 40
momineen who will be Imam's closest companions will realise the nearness
of 'zahoor' and go for Hajj. They will not return home and on the 15th
of Zil-Hijjah they will go to the Ka'ba.
- One of them will be called by Imam (a.s.), and will be told to be the
representative of the 40. They will all meet Imam (a.s.) between the
16th and 22nd of Zil-Hijjah. Imam will tell them that one of them will
have to announce the arrival of Imam (a.s.) at the door of the Ka'ba.
- On the 25th Zil-Hijjah the announcement will be made and the announcer
killed (This is the blood of Nafse Zakiyya - pure soul, those whose
blood will touch the Ka'ba and who is mentioned in numerous prophecies).
His blood will be avenged 2 weeks later when Imam (a.s.) will appear
himself at the Ka'ba.
- Those who answer the first call will be 313 in number.
- Imam's army will consist of around 10.000 momineen.
- Imam will establish his government in Kufa and his treasury in
Source: jafariyanews.com &
Hujjat Newsletter - edited